Friday, January 23, 2009

Got him fired?

So, a few days back, our district HR lady was in the store, like she normally is once a week. Near the end of my shift, I get a call from the Associate Coordinator, saying that the HR lady wants to see me in the store manager's office. Automatically I'm freaked out, because 99% of the time when someone gets pulled in there, it's not good.

So she starts small talk, how are you, how's the day gone, etc. Then she's all, Let's Get Down To Business. She starts talking about how I "witnessed" an incident with another associate and would I make a statement. She impressed how important it was to make a statement, so as to get down to the truth. The way she said it sounded more like, "Make a statement to save your job,"

What happened during the incident was simple. 2 other associates and myself were having a conversation while reticketing near self check out. I had brought up New Year's Eve, and our trip to the liquor store, where I saw this Vodka that I had seen in the movie Superbad. In the movie it was called GoldSlick and had shavings of edible gold leaf in it. Well this same Vodka, under a different name, was in the store, and I couldn't believe it. The one female associate started telling me about how the producers of SB couldn't get the rights to that particular brand so they switched the name. The male associate went on to say that he should put key shavings in a cheap bottle of vodka and tell two gay managers that it's really high end, because it would make them severely ill, or even kill them. Now, he wasn't serious, he was annoyed at the one guy and that was it. The other associate and myself admonished him and told him that it was a mean thing to say, and he immidiately said he was joking. The conversation ended then.

After I told her my version, she made me write it out and she made a call to corporate. I know the other associate involved called the anonymous 800 number to report him, because we were the only people in the vicinity, and he obviously didn't report himself.

I feel horrible, like I snitched. IDK how to make the feeling go away!

My work is really strict on any kind of harassment, especially against gay or transgendered associates. They even host the Gay Pride parade in the city our Corporate HQ is in. I know what he said was wrong, and mean, but I still feel like I did the wrong thing.

No comments: